Thursday, June 12, 2008

My Grandfather

I found this picture this morning while cleaning. It's a picture my grandfather, my dad's dad. Isn't he handsome? And get a load of that baby!



Yes, that is me, in all my happy baby chubbiness in the arms of one of my favorite men on Earth, my Grampa Kimball. That lap was the place you could go to when you needed protection from your brothers or just a hug. And when you were ready to get down, you'd get a big squish and be told that you were such a "hot potato", then you would see that smile and know that you were loved, just for who you were.
On Monday, this baby turns fifty and even though my grandfather is no longer here, I know that I am still his "hot potato".
One day those arms will gather me in a hug and I will see that smile again. I hope he likes the person I've grown into. He should. A lot of who I am today is because of him.

4 comments:

Utah Grammie said...

Well, I know he's smiling just like in the photo 'cause you turned out to be perfect in his eyes! There's no doubt that he'd be proud of you and the person you've become. And he'd probably be amazed at this wide world of blogging, but not surprised at the number of people you have had such a positive influence on!

yes, you are one hot potato.

XXOO
Colleen

Kim - ScrapToMyLu said...

What a sweet story.
Thanks for entering the giveaway.

windycorner said...

You are so blessed to have had such a loving Grandpa in your life. Happy birthday in advance. Hope it's your best ever.
Holley

Aunt Jenny said...

Wonderful post!! I look so forward to seeing my "Pappy" again someday too. He sounds like he was alot like your grandpa.