Thursday, May 1, 2008

My Kentucky Derby Hat Swap Hat

I know this is supposed to be posted tomorrow, but I won't be home.
This is the hat I made for Terisa, from Running With Scissors. Talk about intimidation. Have you seen her blog? Beautiful. And the clothes that she designed? Just amazing. And I had to make a hat for her!
The base of the hat is made from paper maché. It's a bit stiff, but still wearable. For about a minute. :)
The crown is partially covered with silk hydrangea blooms, and some of them are accented with sparkly centers. Just for the bling effect.


On the side are two silk peony blossoms and a tiny nest with a sweet little bird perched inside of it. Corkscrewed paper twists (which were easy to make ) accent the side view.

The base of the crown is trimmed with a hand-ruffled ecru twill tape. I think it gives it a nice feminine touch.


Around the brim is hemp twine executed in a blanket stitch. If you look closely you can see the staples used to keep the layers together. Don't look closely.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the result. I like the softness of the colors and the contrast between the glossy paper and the flowers. The real test will be if Terisa likes it!!

I surely hope so.

15 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Karin, I love it!! It's just beautiful, and with a precious nest too...I'm sure she will absolutely love it ~ xxoo, Dawn

GardenGoose said...

how very pretty!

Sabii Wabii said...

OK, I cheated and peaked early! I LOVE IT! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I'm glad you added the nest.....I played around with the idea of one for you too! Thank you also so for the very nice blog comments.
Blessings,
Terisa

Sophie Rose Designs said...

Oh wow!!! This is beautiful!!!! I love the ruffle and the sweet little birds nest!! Terisa is gonna LOVE it!!!! :)

*hugs* Dara

Flea Market Queen said...

Love it...
So very pretty indeed!
Priscilla

Lola said...

That hat is sweet and natural....What a beauty!

Utah Grammie said...

What's not to love?? This is awesome! Love the bird...
Colleen

Kathy said...

Your hat is lovely. The flowers and the bird nest - beautiful. And I LOVE LOVE LOVE the stitching around the brim!

Sugarplum Cottage said...

Soooooo sweet, I love the nest and the crown. You are very talented and creative, wish I had know about the derby hat swap. or do you have to live in Ky to participate. YOur is gourgeous.

Hugs, RoseMarie

Lori said...

Karin, your hat is very sweet...the flowers you added are gorgeous:)

pattie said...

BEAUTIFUL! Never underestimate your creative self...This is beautiful! A stunning piece...How I wish I had been here to participate!...

Sabii Wabii said...

How awesome!!!! We both won! Yippiee! And you thought you were a millinery virgin!

Adla said...

Congratulations on your win... what a gorgeous hat you made!

Pam said...

Wow...the hat is gorgeous!
I just found your blog and have enjoyed my visit- I hope to visit again soon!

Maryjane - The Beehive Cottage said...

What a DARLING hat Karin! What a fun swap to be in! Hugs, Maryjane