Sunday, April 6, 2008

Homemade Hummus

This really is not a cooking blog, but I thought you might like to try this tasty, healthy snack. This is my own recipe for hummus, so it may not be perfect. But it is a hit at my house! It will last in the 'frige about 5 days. Well, if it is not eaten by then.

Here goes:

1 can chick peas (garbanzos), drained

1/4 cup sesame tahini

Juice from 1 large lemon

3-4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped (depending on how much you like garlic)

pinch of salt

1/4- 1/2 cup olive oil


Place chick peas, sesame tahini, lemon juice and garlic in the bowl of a food processor. Process until smooth. Add olive oil in a steady stream until mixture comes together and appears to be light and fluffy. Add a pinch of salt, blend together.


Serve with fresh vegetables, homemade pita chips, rice crackers- whatever you like! The lemon rather lifts the flavors and gives it a fresh taste.
Hummus makes a nice light lunch or midday snack when you are flagging a bit. Plus, it is loaded with good things for you, so there is no need to feel guilty about consuming it!!

Enjoy!

Here is a link for making tahini sauce!! http://video.about.com/mideastfood/Tahini-Sauce.htm
Easy-peasy!!

2 comments:

The Burp Cloth Babe said...

OK, sounds great...love hummus! But where do you get your sesame tahini? I live out in the sticks...no one has it. So, I bought my own sesame seeds, and I have no idea what to do with them. Let me know...I will check back with you. This sounds great! :)

the Hummus Guy said...

I think next time you make hummus you should go for the real thing: use small dried chickpeas, soak them for a night and than cook until soft (use either a pressure cooker or add a little baking soda to the cooking water - they make th chickpeas softer). Then go on with the rest of the recipe.

Canned chickpeas tend to have an after taste and are not very nutritious.