Tuesday, February 12, 2008

This Little Piggy

I've done it now. Last Thursday I taught Sign Language at my house to a group of women from church. We had so much fun! Learning a new language at any time is not easy, but when you have to contort your hands into shapes that they have never done before, well, the result is just a bit on the hilarious side.
As a reward for all of their hard work, I had bought a large Key Lime pie at Costco to satisfy their sweet tooth (teeth?) and make them happy.
The clear problem with my plan was that only half the pie was eaten. And no one in my house eats Key Lime pie. Except for me.
As a result, not wanting to let the $10 I paid for the 12-inch pie go to waste, I ate the remainder over the course of the next few days. This was not a good idea, because in my quest to not create waste, I did just that. I created an expansion in my waist. And now I feel ill.
Why did I do it? I know the consequences of eating things like this, and it is never pretty.
Each morning I get out of bed full of determination and resolve that this day will be the one where I stay on track. Starting with a bowl of oatmeal with honey, Raisin Bran or toast and eggs with a little fruit, I am on my way to a healthful menu. Lunch is usually broiled fish and a salad, or soup and half a sandwich. Perfect. Then comes the afternoon, when for some inconceivable reason, all common sense and good intentions fly out the window and something invades my brain and says, "You've been a good girl, why not just take one piece of Key Lime pie. One slice can't hurt you." And I listen!!! What a pushover! What a wimp! What the heck?
I eat it with the thought that I am not wasting food, and then I am consumed with guilt for eating the food. It is a conundrum of enormous proportions.
In turn, I am becoming a girl of enormous proportions. It does not help that I am still not able to do much because I am wearing the boot for my ankle. Inactivity and eating things like Key Lime pie are a lethal combination.
My hope is that now, after I have confessed my sins to all to the world, I will try harder to remain on the right path. I also hope that you will take pity on me in my time of weakness and send me a little encouragement every now and then. Please?
I'll start tomorrow. This little piggy is taking charge.
The Key Lime pie is gone now anyway.

4 comments:

Senior Bowler said...

Ours was Strawberry Cheese Cake...hubby and I ate the whole thing. Bought it to take to the kids and left it at home so had to eat it.....could not just run it the 5 miles to the kids house...oh no it might melt in 5 miles.

Good intentions.......

Utah Grammie said...

Well, whenever I have temptation around, I just get rid of it - yep, I eat it then it's not a temptation anymore, right? And usually, it's enough of an "overdose" that I stay away from that particular item for a while anyway!
Don't fret - it's over and done with. And no one ever sent the leftover key lime pies to the trash bin! That would be just silly!
Colleen

Mockingbird Hill said...

Key Lime Pie is my absolute fave...well, that and red velvet cake!! Interesting to find out that you teach sign language. I took a class years ago and it's always in the back of my mind to take a refresher course and try to use it in a good way. *sigh*

Happy Valentine's Day to you, too!

Cassie

Aunt Jenny said...

I am right there with ya! My husband was sweet enough to get me some really special chocolates today for valentines day. He never hears when I say I am trying to eat better. I doubt they will be thrown away either. But they should be!!
Happy Valentines day!!