Monday, February 18, 2008

The Books On My Bedside Table

Cindy has tagged me to share with you what is on page 123 in the book I am reading currently. Well, I am reading three. So I have to eeny-meeny-miney-moe and give you the passage from one of them, or, I could give you the passage from all three. Hmmm.
I think I will do all three. :)
Here goes:
From Henry James, Washington Square:
"Do you think he is sentimental?"
"He is not sentimental," said Mrs. Penniman; "but, to be perfectly fair to him, I think he has, in his own narrow way, a certain sense of duty."
There passed through Morris Townsend's mind a rapid wonder as to what he might, even under a remote contingency, be indebted to from the action of this principle in Dexter Sloper's breast, and the inquiry exhausted itself in his sense of the ludicrous "Your brother has no duties to me," he said presently, "and I none to him."

From Mirielle Guiliano, French Women Don't Get Fat:
This passage happens to be in the middle of a recipe. It is for soup- Soupe aux L├ęgumes de Maman- Mom's Vegetable Soup. Yum.
Thin the soup with the reserved cooking liquid to the consistence you like (it shouldn't be too watery or too thick).
5. Correct the seasoning and add fresh herbs of your choice.
Bring the soup to a boil.

And lastly, C.S. Lewis, A Year with C.S. Lewis, Daily Readings From His Classic Works:
The problem here is that there are only five sentences on page 123. So I give you the first three from page 124;
The Hint of More (from The Problem of Pain)
Are not all friendships born at the moment when at last you meet another human being who has some inkling (but faint and uncertain even in the best) of that something which you were born desiring, and which, beneath the flux of other desires and in all the momentary silences between louder passions, night and day, year by year, from childhood to old age, you are looking for, watching for, listening for? You never had it. All the things that have ever deeply possessed your soul have been but hints of it- tantalising glimpses, promises never quite fulfilled, echoes that died away just as they caught your ear.

There you have it. Excerpts from what I am reading now. So, I must choose three others to share what they are reading.

My choices are:
Jenny

Katie. and

Tina


The rules are as follow...1. The book must be over 123 pages.2. Find page 123 in the book.3. Find the first 5 sentences.4. Post the next 3 sentences.5. Tag other people

I cannot wait to see what you are reading!!

1 comment:

GardenGoose said...

eeks..I haven't been reading many books at all in the last 3-5 yrs. I've become a serious magazine junkie though. I can't tell you honestly the last time that I have sat down and read a book from cover to cover.And this from a gal that used to live at the library as a kid..every day after school would see me at the library pouring over books.
but..since having my littlest one I just find magazines and gardening related books and browse through those when I can.sorry I couldn't really participate in the tag game.