Sunday, January 20, 2008

While Mother Nature Was Making Snowflakes....


I visited Rita (my craft room) and created a little bobble. I am sorry about that darn blurry picture. A camera, a camera! My world for a camera! OK. Enough of the dramatics.
Friday proved to be a very good day for travelling to Griffin for an estate sale. The house, a Craftsman kit-built home, must have been beautiful in its day. Someone with a very heavy Victorian hand had gotten a hold of it in recent years and, I am sorry to say, did it no favors. But inside were treasures galore!
Along with linens and hankies and a granny square afghan (for $1!), I found a broken pair of 14k gold wire glasses. They were $2 and I could not pass them up. Immediately an idea popped into my head. I love it when that happens.
One of the lenses had broken off the nose piece so I removed the other one. I traced each lens onto the page of an old spelling book (bought at the same sale) and on the front side stamped a cute little nest filled with eggs. The back has randomly chosen sentences about spring. I glued each piece of paper to each lens and trimmed away the excess. Then I placed the lenses on top of each other with the earpieces going in opposite directions. I trimmed the wires and wrapped them around the hinges, creating a loop with one and cutting the other off flush. A simple, thin ribbon trin was glued around the sides and Voila! Two small mother-of-pearl buttons for a little dimension and I was done.
I haven't decided yet what I will do with it. Possibly a necklace or just a little doo-dad stuck onto something. But I sure do love it to bits.
Now I just need to find more broken glasses. :)

5 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

WOW!!! I love this, Karin, you know I do! So, so cool and so very repurposed and made beautiful again. I love that...taking a forgotten item and turning into a treasure. So beautiful ~ wish I could've joined you at the sale! xxoo, Dawn

MNScrapbookmom said...

I am so in love with this !!! What a great - great idea !!! You create the most beautiful work Karin !!! ¥

lindaharre said...

Darn....darn....my computer won't load the picture! It sounds darling, but I can't see it:( Just Love the estate sale thing!!!!!

Utah Grammie said...

Wow! This is really cool - I love what you did with this ! Wear it as a beautiful, one of a kind necklace! Bully for you!
Colleen

amy said...

beautiful! now why didn't you call me about that estate sale. i have been itching for a good one. it has been too long.