Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Miracle of Friendship

Yesterday my husband was let go from his job, one that he had held for close to twenty-four years. Clearly, all of his hard work and loyalty to the company that employed him was for naught. Without even a "Thank you." he was told he was no longer needed. It was cold, impersonal and unfair.

For us, when things like this happen in our family, we rally around each other. Immediately we sat down and went over our plan. Yes, unfortunately we had an idea this may have been coming.

Just not this soon.

My first thoughts were of how I could help. Being a stay-at-home mom does not offer me much of an opportunity to earn a living. Our children are grown now, but with a disabled son, I have to be available to get him back and forth to work and be here if he becomes ill. What to do? What to do?

I don't know about you, but when I get stressed I head to the craft room. Something in my brain turns on and ideas come pouring out. I really should be the most creative person on earth at the rate I become stressed. Glancing over all of the piles of things in there inspired me.

A quick e-mail to my friend, Dawn, inquiring about the availability of space somewhere, anywhere, that I could take things to sell solicited a response that took me by surprise. "Come share my room at the Plum Tree." Such generosity and sweetness from this woman left me speechless. "Are you sure?" "Yes." And that was that.

I am so grateful to Dawn for being willing to share her beautiful room and open her generous heart to this friend in need. It is indeed a miracle to have a friend like her.

This is going to be a whole new adventure for me. I'm glad I get to take it with Dawn.

10 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Sweet Karin. My eyes are filled with tears. I'm so very glad that you're doing this with me! All things work together for good... better things must around the bend for you and your family ~ much love to you, xxoo, Dawn

Cheryl said...

Karin, I'm sorry for your loss. Those are the first words that come to me for in a sense, it is like losing a friend. It may not be the best job in the world but it's routine, supposedly always there and there is a void to be filled. You are very talented and are fortunate that others will benefit from your creativeness. Me, on the other hand, would be hanging on the street corner trying to peddle stick figure portraits. I'm with Dawn, this just means that something better is waiting around the corner. Blessings, Cheryl

Beemoosie said...

Dear Karin, I am sorry about the loss of your husband's job. Seems to be few loyal companies these days. You and your family will be in my prayers, I have a feeling you are totally equipped for the adventure ahead!
XO
B

Senior Bowler said...

I can so associate with this. I worked for the same company for 18 years and they came in , closed the door and moved it to Mexico. 500 + people out f work just like that. It was like loosing a friend and then you have to look for another job. Had not interviewed in years.....so sorry. But when one door closes another will open. It is hard to keep ggod people down.....in my prayers

amy said...

oh karin. i am so sorry. it is so wonderful that you are going to share space with dawn. i can't wait to see all the goodies you come up with.

FrenchGardenHouse said...

Karin,

I so agree with Dawn. Sometimes the hardest things turn out to be a blessing. God will open doors, I know he will. I will be praying for the perfect job. And Dawn is such an example of a friend, isn't she?

Thanks so much for visiting me and entering my blog GIVE AWAY!

xo Lidy

whimseycreations said...

Dawn - just breathe. The same thing happened to my husband in 2004 - he hadn't been there as long but two companies merged and most of one of the companies was let go. Since I had just retired in 2003 I was panicked. But between my retirement, his unemployment, and a little part time job I got, things were fine and he was able to start the pet sitting business that he'd always wanted to do. Things will be fine for you too. Big hugs and I'm only a phone call away if you ever need something or just to talk.
Jill

lindaharre said...

That is truly the Gift of Friendship!!!! That makes life rich and full! If we all had just one friend like that what a wonderful world this would be:D

Utah Grammie said...

I'm sitting here with a lump in my throat - I am sooo sorry! Last year at this time, I was let go from a company I loved and was loyal to. My heart still hurts after all this time. Be patient with your loving husband. His emotions will be on a roller-coaster for a while. It definately takes the wind out of your sails. My prayers will be with you and my thoughts. I too believe another, better door will open and while that's a great thing to hear, you and he have the right to be angry, hurt and dissapointed. Take the time to go through all of that- it will do you both good. What about that "Etsy" shop? Can you list there? PLEASE let me know if there's ANYTHING I can do. Be it prayers (without being said that'll happen) or a phone call or anything..please - let me know, OK?
Love, Colleen

smoothiejuice said...

Dawn is so sweet..you 2 will work something grand out together. Good Luck to you and be strong!