Monday, December 31, 2007

Mary Janes and a Blast From the Past

My sweet nephew, Brandon, drew my name for Christmas. I cannot imagine anything less that a 16 year-old boy would want to do than pick out a gift for his aunt. But, with a little help from his mom (my sister) he got me these:

Raspberry-red Mary Jane Crocs!! They are so cute and comfortable. I had to wear them right away! And where, you might ask? To the antique malls, of course.
Thank you, thank you, dear Brandon. They are perfect.

Before I left for the antique malls, my friend, Joyce, came over to bring me a lovely gift. In her hands were dozens of copies of Better Homes & Gardens magazines from 1971-1976. In my lifetime, that spans from Eight grade to my senior year in high school.


I am thrilled to bits with these glimpses into the past. Thank you, Joyce, for keeping these tucked in the back of your cupboard for the past thirty years!

How cute is this Granny-squared blanket? The directions are included and you can bet I will be making one this year.

I can tell you that if I served this to my children there would be a massive revolt. A ham-wrapped pickle is not quite my idea of dinner either. But the mac & cheese would be fine and dandy.

How about some festive Jell-O desserts? Yummmmmm.


I believe that I will be spending my New Year's day perusing these little bits of vintage heaven. And working on a special project. But, more on that later. :)

Happy New Year !!

3 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

I LOVE the Crocs!!! and I want some!! We need to go antiquing together sometime...wishing you a wonderful new year Karin, xxoo, Dawn

Utah Grammie said...

Crocks - you're my kind of gal! Aren't they just the best? What a great gift too.
The magazines look like fun. I love seeing "old" things like this and remembering them! I agree about the pickle in ham, though. It's fun to see what "brands" are still around.
I hope 2008 give you all you want and need. take care, my friend!
Colleen

teddie said...

Love the crocs! I love the mags even more. what fun! You and my sis graguated the same year. me I'm old. Grad in 71