Thursday, November 15, 2007

Homemade Cleaning Products

Sarah, from www.todayshomemaker.com, asked if I would share a few of my recipes on my blog. I had posted them on Cherry Menlove's new forum and I am happy to post them here as well.
They are super simple, made from common ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen cupboards.

Laundry Soap-adapted from Aunt Jenny's recipe.

1 4.5 0z. grated Ivory (or similar), or 2 cups grated Zote soap or castille soap
1/2 cup baking soda
1/2 cup washing soda
1/2 cup borax
1/2 cup oxygen cleaner (OxyClean or similar)
10 drops essential oil of your choice (Although I leave mine plain. I rather like the smell as it is.)

Use 2T of powder for each load.
I have used this since January and I love it. Our clothes are clean, they smell fresh and best of all, it's inexpensive. Plus you just feel good having made it yourself. :) (I found a hand-held grater at Ikea for .99 that works really well for grating the soap. It has small holes and a red handle, and it makes lovely, small curls of soap that break up well when you mix it in.)

Bathroom Scrub-
1 cup borax
1 cup baking soda
A few drops of essential oil, if you desire

Make a paste with warm water and use to scrub your tubs, sinks and toilets. Use a soft cloth and rinse well after cleaning.

Counter Cleaner-

1/4 cup white vinegar
1 quart warm water
A few drops of essential oil, if desired

Pour into a spray bottle and spray on counters and clean with soft cloth.

Floor Cleaner-

1 cup white vinegar
2 gallons warm water
Essential oils, if desired

Mix together well and mop away. I use either lavender, rosemary or rose geranium eo in my floor cleaner. Your house will smell wonderful when you are finished.

If you want to keep pests down (ants, fleas, etc.) add 1/2 cup borax to the water and mix until it is well-dissolved.

I also use olive oil mixed with a squeeze of lemon juice to polish my furniture and the old-fashioned baking soda, vinegar drain cleaner to keep the sinks from backing up. :)

Happy Cleaning, Everyone!!

Oh, and go check out Sarah's blog, too! It is very good! K

5 comments:

The Feathered Nest said...

Wow! You really are a Farmgirl!! Thank you so much dear Karin for your kind comments! I promise that I haven't forgotten about my sweet pay-it-forward volunteers. I've just been scurrying to make money for Christmas. You're the best, xxoo, Dawn

cd&m said...

What excellent recipes, my Grandmother used to use borax as a water softener.

whimseycreations said...

Thanks Karin for the recipes. I've been wanting to start making my own cleaning supplies and now I can. Now to find the time LOL
Jill

MNScrapbookmom said...

This is brilliant... Thank you for this post. :)¥

Brainiac's Daughter said...

As you already know, I had an "incident" when I returned from visiting Dad. My cat had an issue at some point in my absence. There were stains on my floor, my furniture, and my cat. The laundry soap you had so generously given me removed said stains from my floors, my furniture, and my cat.

I am eternally grateful.