Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Beauty Secrets

What is the one thing that you do just for you? Either at the beginning or the end of the day (or both) that makes you feel refreshed and renewed? The thing that causes you to look at yourself and say "Yes. I am beautiful."
It does not have to be a cosmetic. It could be a sweet-smelling soap or wearing a festive hat, a silky scarf, a nice pair of shoes, a manicure and pink nail polish or how you feel after a good run. You get the picture. It is the thing that makes you feel good about yourself.
For me, it's a freshly-scrubbed face. I don't know why, so please don't ask. I just love that feeling of clean skin, still slightly damp, that gives a rosy glow to the cheeks.
It makes me think of young heroines in the novels of my youth. Sweet and innocent, unencumbered by the weight of adulthood and all of the responsibilities it brings.
Maybe that is why I like that feeling so much. I am transported to a different time. As though all of my worries have been scrubbed away and I can start things anew.
Because of this, I have made it my personal quest to try every single product under the sun designed to clean and beautify, allowing me to put my best face forward.
Soaps, creams, scrubs, cloths; they have all been tried and forgotten, one after the other, as new and more enticing products have come along. I am the ultimate consumer. Well, was.
I don't really care about wrinkle removal, pore reduction or the elimination of redness and puffiness. I just like the feel of clean skin. Period.
Earlier this year, Tasha, over at MaryJane's Farmgirl Connection posted about using baking soda for shampoo. (I so wish I knew how to add a link so you can just press here and you would be instantly transported. I need to work on that.)
I loved it! Soft, silky clean hair is the result and best of all, it's good for you and inexpensive. A quick rinse with apple cider vinegar or honey and warm water and you are ready to go.
Thinking about the properties of baking soda, I realized that it could be used as a face scrub as well. So, for the past six months, this is all I have used to wash my face:

A paste of baking soda and honey, followed by a spritz (I love that word!) of Thayer's Rose Petal Witch Hazel. I do not use the honeycomb. That is for the picture only. :)
The result is a clean, dewy, fresh feeling. At night, and in winter, I add a few drops of olive oil to the mix as an extra moisturizer.
And to answer your question, no, I have never been swarmed by bees, gnats, mosquitoes or any other sweet-loving insect. Thank goodness!!
I do look in the mirror and see a different me. I wish I could look like that all of the time.
I wish people could see me in that light. Unburdened, carefree, renewed and enlivened. It is fleeting and temporary as the weight of my day begins to take its toll.
But, for a few brief minutes, morning and night, the real me comes out.
The beautiful me.
What's your beauty secret?

5 comments:

Brainiac's Daughter said...

I fall asleep on the sofa and wake up with bits of potato chip embedded into my cheek. The oil is an excellent moisturizer.

Just kidding. When I need to feel revived, but don't need a full shower I was my feet. Clean, dry, pretty smelling feet are the things of happiness.

Brainiac's Daughter said...

Um... that's "wash" my feet. Not "was." Drrrr.

MNScrapbookmom said...

Love your post. I need a new facial wash. I may try this. Looks easy enough for a new fresh feeling. :) Love your table cloth. ;) Kyra¥

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

Baking soda is a wonder product, isn't it? It works for so many things. I clean my sinks with it too.

I don't think I have much in the way of beauty treatments. I haven't gone without sunscreen in 20 years. That might be my best beauty advice, block the sun!

Amy Wagner said...

I love to brush my teeth. Weird I know!! It just feels so cool and fresh. I probably do it too often for my own good. Maybe I should take up a hobby. Teehee.
Since reading everyone's blogs obviously doesn't keep me away from the sink enough!!
Oops...got to go brush.
Amy