Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Small Tidbit of Advice

I learned something this morning that I thought I would pass along to you. It is very important and can save you from unnecessary pain and embarrassment. This is it:
Never use hair conditioner to shave your legs.
Having used up the last sliver of soap, and having zero ounces of shaving foam left in the can, I went for the next logical thing, hair conditioner. That was my first mistake.
My second mistake was thinking that I am as old as I feel and not as old as I am, and slinging my right leg up on the back wall of the shower.
The result of this action caused my left leg to slide behind me, thereby propelling my right leg in a rapid downward slide.
With razor still hand, I reached back to right myself, slipped and caused said razor to slice across the grain of the back of my upper left thigh. Don't ask how I did this. I just did. Okay?
Getting out of the shower, I towel off and realize that there are copious amounts of blood coming from the cut I have inflicted upon myself. I need a band-aid. And fast.
(Remember, the cut is on the back of my thigh. A place that I only see when I try on a bathing suit and look at the rear view. For protection of the innocent.)
Sticking a piece of toilet paper on the cut and slipping into my cheery, cherry-covered robe, I run for the kitchen and grab the box of band-aids and to my craft room to get a small mirror that I had put there just the other day.
Hmmmm- Now, where exactly did I put that thing?
Finding it under the chair, again- don't ask, I run back to the bathroom, as I am now getting the feeling that something is streaming down the back of my leg. Oh, gosh.
After sticking three bandages to my leg and cleaning up any reminder of the carnage that took place in my bathroom, I thought that this is exactly what I needed to share for my fiftieth post.
A bit of sage advice and a good laugh. With people that I don't know.
It's amazing that I have found 50 things to talk about with you. After all, I can sit in the car with my husband, a man I have known for 27 years, for hours on end without saying a single word.
And yet with you I become Chatty Kathy. Funny, isn't it?
So, thank you, for popping in and reading the things I write and leaving comments that brighten my day. You will never know what you mean to me. Really.

13 comments:

Catherine said...

LOL! Happy 50th post, Karin! :)

Brainiac's Daughter said...

Bahahahahaha! I'm not laughing at you, but with you (assuming you are laughing, which I'm sure you are... it's genetic).

The Feathered Nest said...

OMGoodness!!!! I have done that!! Not fallen but shaved my legs with conditioner and also I have sliced my legs up unknowingly...would have been a great funny video, huh?? Well, maybe with a bathing suit on... :) xxoo, Dawn Happy 50th Post girl!!!

GardenGoose said...

oh gracious. so glad you didn't cut a vein. oh my. bad enough you sliced yourself..gracious. ouch.

MNScrapbookmom said...

Happy 50th post friend... Loved your story... I often find myself wanting to type out my eventful days and then I stop myself. Thanks for sharing your story...glad that you made it without a stitch. lol... Kyra¥

Beth Leintz said...

LOL Shaving your legs is a dangerous business even under ideal circumstances! Thank goodness you didn't break, bend or strain anything and have to call 911!

Penny Carlson said...

LOL.. Thank you for the laugh out loud moment! I have done so many things similar. Now - this is how I have shaved my legs for the last 35 years....I wait until I am OUT of the shower and toweled off. Then I slather a good amount of any kind of body lotion - Vaseline Intensive Care, Johsons Baby Lotion, what ever - on my legs. lift my leg to the edge of the tub and then shave them. I rinse the razor as I go along. TA DA! Smooth and conditioned legs in one easy step. (And safer than balancing on one leg in a wet shower).
Penny

Lara Berch Tutorials said...

Hi. My name is Lara Berch. I have just launched a new website with step by step art tutorials. I was wondering if it's possible to exchange links with you. http://www.laraberch.com
Thank you very much for your time.
Sincerely
Lara

Aunt Jenny said...

How funny...you crack me up Karin!! I am awfully glad you warned us about using the hair conditioner cuz it is totally something I would use..seems logical! I could tell you stories about my silly clumsy pratfalls and injuries..it is great to know I am not the only one..I hope your cut heals quickly!!! Thanks for making my day!!!

Hedgewizard said...

Sounds remarkably like the day I sliced my little toe in half getting out of the shower, whilst half-blinded by soap. I can still feel the cursing!

Utah Grammie said...

What a sight the mind conjours up! Really, one of those "Funniest home videos" Awww, I do feel bad for you..but it is FUNNY! As my not-so-little-grandson used to say "Well-up"
Colleen

mima said...

You are hysterical!!! Hope you are okay!!! Too funny!

Amy Wagner said...

Thanks for sharing the real side of life. I have moments like that when I think "Oh if I could only go back in time 5 minutes and make a very different decision".
Amy