Monday, September 24, 2007

How About Some Butterscotch Pie?

Being that it is the time of year when thoughts travel to changing leaves, cozy sweaters and comfort food, I thought I would share a recipe with you.
Tina, from The Garden Goose, sent me a packet of recipes that she had found in an old, falling-apart recipe box a few months ago. I had read her blog and discovered that she was sharing some of the gems that she had kept with her readers.
Not wanting to keep these sweet, old recipes to myself, I will share some of them here from time to time.
First up? Butterscotch Pie. Does that not just say "Autumn" to you? Silky butterscotch nestled in a crumbly crust, and topped with whipped cream. (The recipe calls for meringue. But I am not a fan, so I have changed it to whipped cream. Goodness, if you are going to make your own butterscotch, you may as well guild that lily for all it's worth!)


Today was not a baking day here at my house. No, it was laundry day, mopping the floor day and vacuum the dog hair off the furniture day. Therefore, no pie to show you.
But, I have scanned the meticulously typed original recipe.
Quaintly vague, it assumes that the reader knows what she is doing. I am sure that the mom who made this for her family was familiar enough with the recipe to winnow it down to shortcuts.
But, you are all smart women who know their way around the kitchen. If you give this recipe a try, please let me know how it turned out. I will be making mine on Wednesday, baking day.

Butterscotch Pie

3 Tbsp. butter
1 1/2 cups milk
6 Tbsp. flour
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
3/4 cup boiling water
3 egg yolks
3/8 tsp. salt

Melt butter. Add sugar and allow to brown. Add the water gradually. Beat egg yolks. Add small amount of the milk and the flour. Stir until smooth. Add the remainder of the milk and salt. Pour into sugar mixture and cook until thick, stirring constantly.
Cool and pour into baked pie shell. Cover with meringue. Brown lightly.
(Or make up a batch of slightly sweet whipped cream and top the pie. Yum. :)

Happy Baking!!

4 comments:

tracey said...

Mmmm...yes, let's have some butterscotch pie, shall we? What time shall I be there?

Utah Grammie said...

I love anything butterschotch - or anyting with "butter" in the name for that matter.
And I loved the typed recipe on the vintage tablecloth! Thanks for sharing - and happy baking to you too!

lindaharre said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog!!! I never know what to charge for anything I make! Always a dilema:D Love this recipe.....must try it! Thanks for both....Linda

MNScrapbookmom said...

I am for sure writing this one down... thanks. I am so in love with your table cloth. :) ¥