Thursday, August 16, 2007

A Rose is a Rose?

I was perusing the Martha Stewart website a few days ago and found a video of a woman named Cassie Chappell making roses with Martha. Not just any roses. Beautiful, full, lush, very realistic roses. From coffee filters! They are amazing. So, I thought- "Hmmmm. She makes this look awfully easy. How hard are they to make?" ha. Famous last words.
Off to Costco I went to purchase my 400 coffee filters for $3.49. What a deal! Roses by the dozens floated through my head.
My first attempt is pictured below. I did just fine cutting out the pattern pieces. Taping them up was fairly uncomlicated. It wasn't until I had to pull the petals apart and start painting them with watercolors that I discovered that my blossom was too loose. Rats. I had a bunch of floppy, sticking-together petals and hands covered in watercolor paint. Perfect. So, I tightened them up a bit, braved my way on and came up with a rose. Not a beautiful, lush, realistic rose, but a rose none the less.




A closer look:





Will I make more? You bet. I have 392 more coffee filters to use up!!

6 comments:

amy said...

Wow they do look real! You will have a few filters to play with while you perfect the technique. :) Such a pretty use for something so mundane.

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh Karin!! I LOVE IT!!! You must make you a bouquet for your studio....you make me want to try this now. I want to do everything! Do I really need to sleep? If I stayed awake, I could be making things all through the night! You really did a lovely job ~ xxoo, Dawn

Utah Grammie said...

I agree with post posters- they are beautiful - and - why do we have to waste time sleeping?? We have crafts to do people! Serioulsy, at first glance prior to reading, I thought you had picked a rose to take a photo on what appears to be a really cool-colored chair. It wsn't until I read on that they were paper roses! Beautiful! And yes, I do have a few folters laying around...Hmmm

Beth Leintz said...

It looks great- and 392 coffee filters- why, that's almost 33 dozen roses!
Good for you for perservering when the first one sent you back to the drawing board- sometimes that's when I take the coffee filters back to the kitchen and say the heck with this!

Brainiac's Daughter said...

Ummm... I disagree with you, Karin. It looks incredibly realistic. In fact, I saw the rose before I read the blog and thought, "What an exquisite, delicate heirloom bloom." I was fooled. Bloom on.

Barbara Jacksier said...

I think they look real. I, too was fooled and was hoping to find out whicht hybrid they were.
Barbara