Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Perfect

What exactly is that?
I went for a stress test today. With my family's propensity for heart problems, and my entry into my sixth decade in the not too distant future, my doctor thought it would be a good idea.
I did not have to fast, thank goodness. It was just a tread mill test. Just.
I woke up this morning with a headache that remained with me all day long. I am certain that is the result of taking my dad to the VA hospital yesterday. As I mentioned to a friend in an e-mail, there is nothing more stressful than taking your father to the doctor to discuss his hemmoroid problems. I mean really.
The entire way there I had to listen to the whole long saga of his problem with his derriere. Why? Do I look like I care? Do I really need to know about this? I don't think so.
So I nodded my head and made vague little "uh-huhs" in response to his diatribe.
Sitting in the waiting room, hoping beyond all hope that he would be called quickly, I was exposed to yet more discussion of ailments from every corner of the room. And yes, my father is not the only one with problems in the back end. And no, there are certain procedures that you absolutely do not want to have done if you know what's good for you. Perfect.
I messed up two Sudoku puzzles trying to block out the never-ending tales of woe.
Finally they called Dad, and I wheeled him to the exam room where the doctor promptly shut me in there with him. What?! Oh my gosh.
I will spare you the details of the discussion, but suffice it to say, that when the doctor left the room, leaving me there with my dad and a poster of The Prostate and How to Keep It Healthy in living color, I nearly lost it. I do believe that the room was actually spinning.
Back came the doctor, and I (in a very weak voice) asked if there was someplace where I could wait for Dad. I was led back to the waiting room where, yes, the discussions of ailments large and small were still the topic of discussion.
I am throwing away my Sudoku book.
Had they done my stress test yesterday, I am sure that the results would have been markedly different. But today was a new day, and despite my headache, I took the test and passed. Perfectly, the doctor said. Well, what a relief that is.
Ten minutes on a tread mill, with Madame deFarge* revving up the speed every two minutes just to "get that heart rate up" was nothing compared to yesterday's events.
I am still trying to shake the vision from my mind.


* Actually, she was a very nice woman and we had a lovely conversation. Until her son's teacher called to inform her that he was not doing his homework because he was, and I quote, "Turning 18 in a few weeks and will be leaving school anyway."
I should have hooked her up to the machine. Bless her heart.

11 comments:

Brainiac's Daughter said...

I wish beyond anything that I had not read this.

Love,
Your sister who will never look at our father the same way.

That is all.

Mary Isabella said...

I know how you feel. my husband's mother use to do that also.

The Feathered Nest said...

Oh Karin, sounds like such a delightful afternoon my dear....I always love to read your writing of the days events. Always so very proper with a nice comic edge!! Sweet dreams of Preparation H ~ xxoo, Dawn

Aunt Jenny said...

Oh my...I don't envy you THAT trip to the doctor..yikes!!
I am so glad you won the MaryJane pin keep contest. You sure did deserve it..you have to tell us all the details!!! HOw fun!!!

Beemoosie said...

What a day burned into your memory! I am glad your stress test went well!

GardenGoose said...

I just sat here laughing out loud..LOL haha. How funny. But I guess you didn't see it as that yesterday..LOL I bet all those folks actually knew you were cringing and just kept on yammering just to get your goat..LOL and most likely your dad knew how you felt too..ya know how dad's can be just like any other guy that likes ya, but loves to see ya squirm? LOL
well..glad that your stress test went well though.

Utah Grammie said...

When we used to "slip up" and ask my Mother how she was, we'd get the low-down - starting at the tip of her "head-ache" all the way down to her bunoins and fallen arches! I swear, if I ever get that way, shoot me. No wait - just tell me to be quiet. Anyway, you crack me up.
When I lived in Texas, I learned you can say anything about anyone, as long as you end it with "Bless her heart!" - like "I can't believe she wore white to the weddin', Bless her heart!"

Anonymous said...

Karin - that was hilarious! You sure have a way with words. So glad it was you and not me LOL
Jill

Amy Wagner said...

Thank you for you nice comment.
I was reading some of your previous posts and I love the story about your Mother. She was a stuningly beautiful woman!
I also enjoyed the story about Mabel. I care for 3 ederly people. Of the 3 - one has Alzheimers and another is 99 years old (100 in November ) and she is sharp as a tack but her only child (now in his 70's) and her only 2 grandchildren never have time for her!!
I smiled when I read in your profile that you like Mr. Blandings!!!!! Me too.
Amy

Rebecca said...

My sister had to take my dad to the va all the time. It was horrible. To top it off my dad was VERY hard of hearing so anything he said was audible to everyone in the near vicinity. And he had plenty to say.

日月神教-向左使 said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,性感影片,正妹,聊天室,
情色論壇