Sunday, June 24, 2007

Well, I Feel Special.

My birthday was last week. I celebrated the twentieth anniversary of my twenty-ninth birthday on the 16th. I'll wait while you figure that out. :) For weeks my children asked me what it was I wanted for my gift.
"I don't know. You know what I like- just pick something."
"No. What do you want?"
It's not my favorite thing, creating a list of things I "want." I would much rather someone take the time and thought to look at something and say, "Gee, I bet Mom would like that!" I think I live in a dream world.
So, with the ever-mounting pressure from my children, I set out to find something, anything, that I would like for my birthday.
Trips to stores were laced with stress as I tried to look at things with their eyes, and with their wallets. One does not want to be too greedy, does one? Aargh! The difficulty of this whole choose-what-you-want method was wearing me down. That is, until I found "IT."
"IT" turned out to be the most adorable wallpaper ever. Cath Kidston wallpaper. From England. Chintz Floral White wallpaper, with small, pinky roses and tiny blue flowers to be exact. Just so cute. And perfect for my newly redecorated craft room.

They wanted me to choose and I did. Knowing that there would be no way possible I would get that from them, I still printed off the information and left it by the computer.
My birthday came and I received lovely cards and wishes from my family. My husband took me out for a day of yard sales (with the promise that he would definitely not complain) and a trip to the Green Market. Dinner out with friends followed. And I was perfectly content.
Until this past Friday. At my doorstep, waiting for my arrival home, was a package. Two long tubes held together with tape that said "Cath Kidston." A bright orange customs sticker declared that it was A-OK to come to my house.
I was much more than content- I was ecstatic!! Oh my goodness! They did it! Well, do I have the kindest, most wonderful children or what?
I have been told by each of them that I am really just the strangest, off-the-wall, wierdest mom ever.
"Who picks wallpaper for their birthday? Honestly!" (But they bought it, didn't they?)
Well, I picked wallpaper for my birthday. And I'm glad I did. My craft room is going to be totally cute, inspirational and a happy place to be.
Here it is, in all it's adorableness:



As soon as I get it on the walls, I will take a picture to share. It might take a while, because for some reason no one wants to help put it up. Too bad it didn't come with a cute English wallpaper installer!

10 comments:

lindaharre said...

Thanks for your comments on my blog! That Paul Potts is something else.....and of course.....I love That Show!!!! I get tears in my eyes everytime I watch it......

I am Amy Wagner... said...

Thanks for stopping by and signing up for my give away!!!!!! Happy Birthday to you, from OHIO and Amy at Abundant Curiosities!! I adore your blog banner...all things I love too. Your wallpaper is precious. If I come over and help hang it can I be a craft-room-mate? I, unfortunately, craft in the livingroom or at the diningroom table or...

I am Amy Wagner... said...

OOH MY GOSH!!! I just read your profile again and I can not believe you also like Mr Blandings!!!!!!!!! You are the ONLY other person besides ME that I have ever even heard mention that old movie. I love it to tiny bits!!!!
Amy

madrekarin said...

Likewise, Amy! I'd say we Blandings gals need to stick together! There is no one in my circle of friends who has ever seen that movie. I tell them that they absolutely do not know what they are missing. "If you ain't eatin' Wham, you ain't eatin' ham!"
Love it!

dottie angel said...

oh me oh my, that has to be the best kind of gift for a birthday..i too live in dreamland that one day i will be surprised by my family having thought way ahead of time...

can't wait to see the results :)

Beth Leintz said...

What a GREAT birthday present- you are going to love your cute & cheerful craft room. Good luck with finding that English paper hanger!

BeachysCapeCodCupboard said...

Hope your birthday was wonderful! And happy to hear you are 29 again (I do the very same thing - I stopped counting at 29)!

lindaharre said...

What a darling post!!!!! I got a kick out of it......and.....Thank you for visiting my blog. I love your idea of framing the orange pic and sending it as a gift!!!! Thank you so much for the thoughtful end to my story:D

GardenGoose said...

oh how very nice..that is going to be one darling room!Happy belated Birthday!

madrekarin said...

I crafted wherever as well, until #1 son moved out this year. As soon as he departed, I took over. Talk about giving the poor kid a complex. "Yes, I love you. Now get your junk out of MY room!"
I am in the process of clearing out my absolutley necessary and needful things (nee junk) and preparing for wallpaper day. Wish me luck!!