Monday, May 7, 2007

Starting a blog

What it is that compels people to write about themselves for public view? Could anyone possibly want to read the meandering thoughts of someone they don't know and then feel connected to them in some way?
I have found that as I travel over this vast landscape of information, that I have developed a certain curiosity about what is happening in the lives of those I read about. A sort of innocent voyeurism that has caught me up in it's wake, carrying me along to places I never dreamed of going. How many times in a day do I travel across "the pond" to see what is happening in the Cotswolds, or Paris? Or journey through my homeland, catching up on the days events of people I may never know.
I have a long list of blogs tagged in my favorites on my computer. All of them have the same appeal to me- they are written by smart, savvy women who have truly found themselves. Not the "Oh, I have to go off and find myself because I've been so oppressed!" kind of women, but the learned-by-experience, pulled-themselves-up-by-their-bootstraps, reach-for-the-sky type of women. Nothing, it seems, can stop them. They have families and businesses and good times and bad. They have real lives. They laugh. They cry. They create. They are the kind of women I think I am.
I'm beginning to understand the need to write and to share. It's like gathering around a virtual quilt, conversation never-ending, needles rocking back and forth binding the fabric and the lives together.
So, welcome to my blog. Pull up a chair and stay a while. I hope that you will enjoy reading the bits and bobs of my life. I know I'll enjoy sharing them with you.

6 comments:

mima said...

I love your new blog Karin! You and I are in the same place in our lives! I raised four kids! Your blog was beautifully said!
I'm happy for your new etsy shop too and can't wait to get my new bag! Farmgirl hugs! Debi(mima)

Beverly said...

Great beginning Karin...you write very well and are going on my list of favorites! Can't wait to read more!

Bev (Bee Haven Maven)

Aunt Jenny said...

I am so glad you decided to blog too, Karin!! It will be fun reading what you write...you have a way with words that I certainly don't have. Your etsy site looks great too...how fun!!!

Sue said...

Happy to see another farmgirl blogging, it's addicting but it could be so worse! Great job and I'll be back!

madrekarin said...

Thanks, Farmgals!! I sure am having fun with this!!

K

The Feathered Nest said...

Hi Karin, I'm so sorry I don't remember you by name but I'm sure if I saw you I would...Have you been to the store lately? I have to tell you something though, you write wonderfully! You must do more of it ~ I enjoyed each and every post...I hope to see you soon, xxoo, Dawn