Tuesday, May 8, 2007

The Battle of the Bulge

I joined Weight Watchers a few weeks ago. Four, to be exact. So far, so good. I am losing weight. Which to me is somewhat of a miracle, because I had convinced myself that this body I have would be like it is forever. And ever, and ever. I tried to blame it on the fact that my thyroid is underactive, that I am in menopause, that I am genetically disposed. Yeah, right. The fact is, I like food. I like to cook and I like to eat. Food is comforting when you are blue, elevating you with just a "pop" into your mouth. My favorite comfort food? Frosted Flakes with icy cold evaporated milk. Do you see what I mean? Why can it not be broccoli? Or cauliflower? Or Brussel sprouts? No, I go for the really good, luscious, round, full-flavored foods. Which has made me a very round, full-flavored gal. Oh, joy. Oh, rapture.
I spent last week at my sister's place in Cincinnati. It's a lovely little apartment in the Eden Park area. Just beautiful. We moved her there from Newport, KY, just across the river. And while it was a "working" vacation, it was also a liberating time for me. No husband. No children. No one to care for but myself. And I did just that. I ate well. And properly. No sneaking in things, because there was nothing to sneak. Good idea. Keep all tempting things out of sight. It works wonders for your self-control. I walked and discovered little treasures nearby. The Conservatory, with it's incredible display of tropical plants and orchids. The quaint park with two small ponds, where all you could see were bobbing duck bottoms dotted all over the surface of the water. (They were eating well!) The Reflecting Pond, which is .3 miles around, in case you were wondering. The Presidential Grove, across from the Conservatory, which has honored each of our Presidents (up to the first President Bush) with the planting of a tree. Beautiful, large, strong trees, each one bearing the memory of a leader who has come and gone. It was a lovely place. Very quiet and serene. Much unlike the lives that those great men led.
Anyway, back to walking. It was exhilerating. It was exhausting. It was FUN!! I loved it. Feeling my legs moving across the pavement, arms swinging and sweat running down my back, I was in heaven. The breeze coming from across the river gave me a respite from the heat of the day. I could have walked forever. It did me a world of good, and then some.
The result? A small weight loss indicated by the scale at WW on Friday. Small. Very small. But, that's ok with me. Because what I learned from that short time at my sister's lightened me more than that scale had sensed. It gave me the desire to move- forward. With vim and vigor. (No one says that anymore, do they? They should.) With intensity and focus. All with a smile on my face and a spring in my step that I am taking more often now.
What is the difference with this weight loss journey this time? Joy. With where I am, with what I am doing and with where I am going. Because on my way to the park, I found myself. Welcome back.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Oh you go girl! I love your description of walking -- last March, I began my own walking-and-eating-right program and have lost 60 lbs. And the walking is the key! Good for you, on your beginning. You've got it figured out.

mima said...

So happy for you Karin!

Tracey said...

Congratulations on your weight loss! I'm going to start eating right just as soon as I finish this big mug of hot chocolate this morning...